A healthy, gluten-free, vegan, red lentil Dal
Prep Time 10 mins
Cook Time 30 mins
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 680ml cold water
- Place the washed lentils into a saucepan with 680ml of cold water, along with the turmeric, chilli flakes, ground coriander, ground cumin, fine sea salt and the crushed garlic cloves.
- Stir and bring to a boil, skimming off any foam that rises to the top of the water.
- Once boiling, bring down to a simmer and cover with a lid and let the lentils cook for 10-15 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, add the vegan butter and oil and turn to a medium-high heat.
- Add cumin seeds, black mustard seeds and black onion seeds and heat for 30 seconds until they become fragrant and pop.
- Add diced onion and stir until softened and golden-brown in colour.
- Add the ginger, garlic and the curry leaves to the onions and keep stirring until the mixture becomes foamy and begins to bubble (and smells super fragrant).
- Now, uncover the lentils and add the onion/ginger/garlic mixture into the lentils, and stir until combined.
- If adding fresh green chillies (for some extra spice!), add to the lentils and give a final stir.
- Serve with warm, fluffy basmati rice and fresh coriander, voila! A super yummy, comforting mid-week meal!