Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 45 mins
Gluten free, vegan
For the crust and crumble:
- 1.5 cups gluten-free oat flour (or sub plain flour)
- 1 cup gluten-free oats (or sub standard rolled oats)
- 1/2 packed cup of soft dark brown sugar (you could sub coconut sugar but you may not get the best crumble)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 8 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
For the filling:
- 2.5 heaped cups blueberries (fresh or frozen works just fine)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (could sub agave)
- 1 tbsp arrowroot or cornflour
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- zest of 1 lemon (if you'd like a hint of lemon flavour)
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a square baking tin with a silicone liner, or parchment paper. and grease generously.
- To make the base and topping: in a large mixing bowl, mix together the oats, oat flour, sugar, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Add the melted butter, almond and vanilla extract and stir well until a nice crumble forms and the dough begins to stick together.
- Add the majority of this mixture to the bottom of the greased baking tin (saving around 1/2 cup/64g of the mixture for the topping and set aside). Use your hands or the back of a spoon, to press the mixture evenly to the bottom of the pan.
- To make the blueberry filling: place a saucepan over a medium heat and add the blueberries, maple syrup, almond extract, cornflour/arrowroot and salt. Use the back of a wooden spoon to smash some of the blueberries and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Then simmer for 3-5 minutes until the mixture has thickened up and has a jammy consistency, nicely coating the back of a spoon.
- Pour this mixture over the crust and use a spoon to evenly spread. at this point, you can sprinkle over the zest of 1 lemon, if you wish.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture over the blueberry filling (you may want to add some extra oat flour to the crumble mixture before doing this, if you want it to become a little drier and resemble a classic crumble consistency, it's all down to personal preference!)
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the filling is bubbling and topping is golden brown. 10) Allow bars to cool completely for 30-60 minutes, before slicing, otherwise they'll collapse and ooze everywhere! (As yummy as that may sound) - Enjoy!
These will taste fantastic served both at room temperature, or from the refrigerator!
These bars are naturally quite crumbly, so don't panic if your bars are super soft and quite fragile!